Thursday, June 11, 2009

More on Beowulf

Martín wrote a great review on Zemeckis' Beowulf film (2007) some time ago. He was quite upset with the film's rendering of the ancient Saxon poem. I hadn't seen the film by that time, but now, after a single viewing, I find it surprising that I disagree so much with Martín's opinion. Not that the film hasn't got weaknesses, but to me, the strength and weaknesses of the film are at odds with Martín's opinion. So I thought it interesting to write my point of view down. You can find the post on If I may say so... (just click here).

1 comment:

nestor said...

After watching the film Beowulf, I partially agree with Martin G. in questioning the heroism of Beowulf. In this sense, killing a baby monster probably has none of a heroic fashion. However, being left alone by a crew of coward warriors in a cavern to fight against the dragon tells me much of Beowulf's heroism and much of the traitors surrounding him. If I had to question the Beowulf of the film something, I would criticize the fact that he is a lier. He lied about his swimming race against Breca and lied Hrothgar about defeating Grendel's mother. Paradoxically, Hrothgar comitts suicide after being informed on this.